Rutgers University— Bergen Building
August 9th - 14th, 2018
HeNRY MAYO Fitness Center
September 14th - 16th, 2018 and October 19th - 21st, 2018
Keep your eyes peeled for a workshop in Michigan in 2019. Exact dates and location TBA.
About the CES Workshops
This evidence-based course on management of edema --including lymphedema-- was developed by the Oncology Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. Successful participants will receive certification in the management of edema from the Oncology Section and will be designated as Certified Edema Specialists (CES). This certification will be part of the new Certificate of Achievement in Oncology Physical Therapy (CAOPT) through the Oncology Section.
Peripheral edema is a common impairment secondary to many medical diagnoses encountered by physical and occupational therapists across all practice settings. Differential diagnosis of the cause of the edema is essential in the clinical reasoning process that leads to appropriate intervention. This case based course will address the pathophysiology, examination, evaluation and clinical management of peripheral edemas of the upper and lower extremities, head, neck, and genital areas.
The course utilizes an online format to present didactic material that must be completed prior to attendance at a regionally located lab. Active learning strategies include small and large group discussions of patient cases to facilitate integration of the didactic material into patient care. Feedback will be provided during supervised labs for manual lymphatic drainage and multiple layer compression bandaging. Joint and soft tissue mobilizations and therapeutic exercise will be incorporated into case discussions and labs.
Patient cases incorporate a variety of pathologies that result in peripheral edema. The interventions presented are appropriate for orthopedic related edemas, organ–related edemas as well edema due to chronic venous insufficiency. This course is applicable across all treatment settings: acute care, home-health, out-patient orthopedics, sports medicine clinics, rehabilitation hospitals and SNFs.
Successful participants will receive certification in the management of edema from the Oncology Section and will be designated as Certified Edema Specialists (CES).
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
• Develop a personalized plan of care for management of individuals with peripheral edema across all practice settings
• Describe the anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system that results in peripheral edema
• Utilize principles of differential diagnosis and clinical decision making to determine the cause or contributing factors resulting in peripheral edema
• Identify clinical presentations where referral to other health care professionals is indicated
• Perform an examination and evaluation of the lymphatic system to define the patient problem and guide interventions
• Safely and effectively implement appropriate interventions for lymphatic system dysfunction of the head, neck, upper extremity, genital and lower extremity areas
• Demonstrate competency in manual lymphatic drainage skills
• Demonstrate competency in multiple layer bandage compression skills with and without foam
• Select safe and effective exercises for edema management
• Integrate joint and soft tissue mobilizations into comprehensive patient interventions
• Select appropriate compression garments for day and nighttime use
• Instruct the patient in risk reduction, prevention and long term management of edema
• Discuss best evidence for examination and intervention procedures
• Appropriately document treatment progress and outcome measures
• Discuss billing and marketing issues for management of a lymphedema clinic
The following online courses must be completed prior to the workshop; once completed, please bring your certificates to the workshop. This portion comprises approximately 18 hours of learning at your own pace and at your place. This state of the art didactic material was developed by the Oncology Section and offered online by EDUCATA. It is organized into 4 modules.
Regular price for all 4 online courses (18 hours) = $539.11
Early bird special (30% off) = $377.38
How to receive your 30% off price:
Click on the image for each course.
- Click “Enroll Now” to add to your cart.
- Repeat until you have added all 4 courses to your shopping cart.
- Enter coupon code (see below)
For those planning to attend the Rutgers University event, enter the coupon code CES-RUT and press "Redeem".
For those planning to attend the Henry Mayo event, enter the coupon code CES-MAYO and press “Redeem”.
Have you taken all of the required courses? If so, please proceed to register for one of our upcoming events: